90) How can we define the degree of saturation of soil mass?
- a) Ratio of the volume of water to the total volume of voids
- b) Ratio of the volume of air voids to volume of total voids
- c) Ratio of the volume of air voids to the volume of water
- d) Ratio of the volume of voids to the total volume of the soil mass
Komal Bhandakkar Answered question January 5, 2021
Answer: a) Ratio of the volume of water to the total volume of voids.
The voids in soil mass are filled with water & air. The volume of water volume to the total volume of voids in a given soil mass is called a degree of saturation.
All the voids are filled with water in case of fully saturated soil. At the same time, all the voids are filled with the air in a dry soil sample.
The value of the degree of saturation varies from zero to 100 %. For fully saturated soil, the value of the degree of saturation is 100% & in fully dry soil, it is zero.
S = Vw/Vv = ew/e
- Vw = Volume of water
- Vv = Volume of void
- ew = Water void ratio
- e = Void ratio
Komal Bhandakkar Edited answer January 5, 2021