8) Which factor is more responsible for the change in volume in soil?
- a) Water content is changed
- b) Change in pressure
- c) Increase in soil density
- d) Change in particle size
Komal Bhandakkar Answered question January 5, 2021
Answer: a) Water content is changed
- The decrease in the soil’s water content causes shrinkage, while an increase in water content causes swelling.
- Montmorillonite is a mineral that is more responsible for highly shrinkage & swelling property in black cotton soil.
- Expansion characteristics of soil are generally lead to significant destruction to infrastructures like highways, mountain tunnels, & above-ground buildings.
- While the soil’s swelling pressure more than the supporting structures’ bearing capacity, it may result in enormous casualties & economic losses.
Komal Bhandakkar Edited answer January 5, 2021